Connect with Us

For A Free Consultation:


Your Child Support Attorney

Securing Your Child's Future

Whether a parent is married or single, Texas law requires parents to financially support their children. It is vital for all parties involved in a child support case that child support is calculated properly. The child's needs must be met while also ensuring that both parents are able to financially support the child when they have possession of the child. With extensive experience in establishing, modifying and enforcing child support obligations, child support attorney Chikeersha Puvvada can help you accurately calculate, obtain and collect an appropriate amount of child support.

"Mr. Puvvada was very kind, compassionate and professional. He walked me through all the processes in great detail and patience. He is a good man. I recommend him 100 percent."
-Mary G. (client review)
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Child Support FAQs

How is child support calculated?

For an explanation of the basics of calculating child support in Texas, read our article Calculating Child Support.

How long do I have to pay child support?

The court can order child support to be paid until the child is 18 years old or until the child graduates from high school, whichever occurs later. For child support to continue when the child is 18 years old, the child needs to be in an accredited secondary school in a program leading toward a high school diploma. Child support can end early if the child is emancipated by order of a court or through marriage. However, child support can be required indefinitely if the child is disabled.

Can child support be taken out of my paycheck?

Yes. Courts can issue a Wage Withholding Order to your employer. The order will require your employer to take up to 50% of your income to pay your monthly child support obligation. The amount taken out from each paycheck is adjusted based on the how often you are paid. For example, if you're paid every two weeks, your monthly child support payment will be broken down into payments of every two weeks. Courts will issue a Wage Withholding Order unless the parties agree otherwise.

Can I stop paying child support if I lose my job?

If you have a child support order in place, your responsibility to pay child support does not automatically go away if you lose your job. You will need to file a modification suit to change your child support obligation.

Can I stop paying child support if the other parent won't let me see my child?

No. The other parent denying you visitation with your child is not a valid reason for not paying child support.

What can I do if the other parent is refusing to pay court-ordered child support?

You will need to file an enforcement case. For more information on enforcement cases, click here.

Who pays for health insurance for my child?

The parent who can afford private health and dental insurance for a child will be ordered to either get or maintain health and dental insurance for the child. If both parents can afford private health and dental insurance, Courts will usually consider multiple factors when deciding which parent will provide insurance coverage, including cost of the coverage, quality of the coverage and each parent's history of providing coverage. If the parent who is paying child support is also providing insurance coverage, then that parent gets a discount in their child support calculation equal to the monthly premium for the child's insurance. If the parent who is receiving child support is providing the insurance coverage, that parent is reimbursed by the other parent for the monthly premium for the child's insurance. If neither parent can afford private health insurance, then the Court will order the parent who lives with the child to obtain health insurance through either CHIPs or medicaid.

Who pays for health care expenses not covered by health insurance?

Normally, each parent will be responsible for 50% of any healthcare expenses that are not covered by insurance. However, that percentage can be adjusted either by agreement of the parties or the Court.

Visit our FAQ section to learn more.

Our Top Articles on Child Support
Texas' Cap on Child Support Has Increased
January 29, 2020

Gavel over money
The maximum amount of child support payable in Texas went up in 2019. This article describes the basics of calculating child support and explains why and how much the cap on child support increased in 2019.


Retroactive Child Support in Texas
September 9, 2014

Gavel over money
In Texas, parents often think that if there is no child support order in place, then they have no responsibility to pay child support to the other parent. That is not always true. In certain situations, a court can order a parent to make future child support payments to make up for child support payments that the court believes should have been made in the past when no child support order was in place. This is retroactive child support.


Child Support and Intentional Unemployment
June 28, 2016

Gavel over money
How often do family law attorneys hear the following questions: "What if I get a job that makes less money? Then can I get a court order to pay less child support?" These folks often plan on earning less, getting their child support reduced and then getting a better job. However, the Texas Family Code is a step ahead and allows family courts to use a parent's earning potential when calculating child support if that parent is intentionally underemployed or unemployed.


If you need help with establishing, modifying or enforcing child support, contact child support attorney Chikeersha Puvvada at 832-317-6705 or online today to schedule a free 30 minute consultation. Consultations are available in-person, by telephone or by teleconference.

Main Office:

19855 Southwest Freeway
Suite 330
Sugar Land, Texas 77479
Tel. (832) 317-6705
Fax (866) 561-5068

The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek counsel for advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Chikeersha Puvvada is responsible for the content of this site.

Chikeersha Puvvada is admitted to practice law in the following states only: Texas, New Jersey.

Copyright 2020 - Puvvada Law Office, PLLC. All rights reserved.